Manager, Member Services and Communications
The Manager, Member Services and Communications is responsible for helping to manage and enhance membership recruitment, engagement, and retention efforts and for promoting, and integrating the marketing and communications efforts of the SAC to meet organizational objectives. The position reports to and works under the general supervision of the Vice President of Membership.
Member Engagement: Work directly with members either by phone, email, periodic visits or attending events to build and retain relationships, sustain and increase membership engagement and enhance membership benefits, products and services. Preparing and sending alerts to members monthly/as needed regarding progress and program updates.
Program and Membership Marketing: Development and implementation of marketing campaigns and materials to promote membership and programs.
Website Maintenance and Email communication: Monthly review of website to identify any areas needing edits or updating. Writing, formatting and sending monthly e-Newsletter. Daily updating of organization’s social media channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter) and working with vendors to help enhance website features.
Publications: Overseeing solicitation and development of blogs/articles/white papers/annual report and other publications. Working with staff and members to write and edit content for dissemination.
Public Relations/Social Media: Writing and distributing press releases as needed. Maintaining updated list of relevant media and influencers. Monitors and reports on media placements; including preparation of regular reports summarizing media activities.
Online Communities: Promote and facilitate online community engagement among members through a robust Association Management System and ongoing maintenance, engagement and facilitation of the system with staff and members. Create content for social media, monitor SAC’s accounts and engage with users. Examines media trends, compiles metrics, and analyses current communications for consistency and offers recommendations for improvement.
Key Duties / Tasks
- Work directly with members either by phone, email, periodic visits or attending events to build and retain relationships, sustain and increase membership engagement and enhance membership benefits, products and services. Engagement includes onboarding calls, quarterly check ins and ongoing service engagement.
- Solicit, write, edit, publish communications with member focus through various vehicles; including email copy, social media, website content, and other marketing and member communications collateral.
- Work with staff to construct and disseminate internal and external messaging.
- Maintain editorial calendar/system.
- Conduct research and assist with identifying member-relevant news and information.
- Develop and support social media messaging for multiple platforms.
- Support member communications and relations efforts through the AMS platform and at the annual meeting.
- Attend and represent SAC at regional conferences, meetings, and trade shows to support member engagement efforts.
- Serve as brand steward, enforcing organizational style guide and usability standards.
- Perform general departmental administrative duties as necessary.
- Exceptional oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with excellent working knowledge of the English Language. Additional language experience a plus (Mandarin, Vietnamese, Spanish, etc.)
- Results-oriented with a high attention to detail, ability to multi-task and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced environment; excellent time and project management skills.
- Proven expertise in editing and writing.
- Must have working knowledge and understanding of social media technology (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, etc.), and judgement in distributing content.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Professionalism with both members and vendors.
- Skill working with technology; content management systems, online communities (such as Higher Logic), databases (such as Member Clicks or other AMS), e-mail messaging system (Mailchimp) and MS Office programs (Word, Excel and PowerPoint), graphic design programs (Adobe suite).
- Ability to quickly learn new computer programs.
- Ability to travel up to 10%.
The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, or a related field and 3-5 years of progressive professional responsibility for membership engagement and communications. Customer service orientation a priority, as is a proven ability to work with internal and external stakeholders. Demonstrated tact, diplomacy, ability to multi-task and excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. Flexible, creative, friendly, detail-oriented and able to work in a fast-paced team environment. Work experience in an association or other nonprofit organization is preferred. Knowledge of the apparel, footwear and home textile industry and sustainability issues is desirable as is experience in a startup setting. Must have working knowledge of HTML, web content management system, e-mail communications tools, CRM and AMS management systems.
Compensation and Location
The SAC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, including a competitive benefits package, which includes health (medical, dental, vision), paid time off, and a matched retirement plan. The SAC’s members are global organizations, and as such, the SAC staff sometimes works early or late hours. This position is full time and will be located in San Francisco, CA.
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.