There are no career opportunities at this time
General Counsel and VP, Human Resources
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition (“SAC”) is the world’s largest industry association working to solve sustainability challenges in the apparel sector and is moving full speed ahead towards its vision of complete transparency in the apparel and footwear supply chain. We facilitate industry and stakeholder collaboration, build tools, share expertise, and drive global policy efforts.
The SAC seeks a Global General Counsel and VP, Human Resources who will manage its global legal affairs and lead human resources internationally. S/he will report to the COO and will oversee all aspects of contract law, trademark law, employment and labor law, trade, and technology matters for the SAC.
The General Counsel will be responsible for the creation, maintenance, and negotiation of all contracts; will ensure global legal compliance; will manage all human resource matters; and will maintain and protect SAC and the Higg Index’s trademarks globally. Legal work will focus particularly on risk mitigation, technology, trademark, and IP matters related to the Higg Index suite of tools and will span all programs and services, including technical development, member adoption efforts, supply chain transparency, and policy efforts.
The General Counsel will be joining the SAC at a critical time when all Higg Index tools will converge on a single platform and activate global transparency across the apparel sector, from tier 2 suppliers to the consumer. This will involve work that touches many aspects of global law including product liability law, audit sector risks, manufacturing risks, FTC Green Guide policy, and global technology and privacy law. Knowledge across these areas will be required to successfully carry out the SAC’s legal roadmap that corresponds with its ambitious plan to activate apparel industry transparency by 2020.
The General Counsel and VP, Human Resources will be a member of the SAC’s executive team and may also provide strategic counsel to the SAC Board of Directors. The General Counsel will manage the SAC’s legal budget and all law firms working with the SAC and the Apparel Impact Institute, currently totaling five firms.
- Management of SAC and Higg.org compliance with all global labor, trade and privacy laws including GDPR and China Internet Security Law.
- Lead the global strategy, protection and policing of the SAC and Higg Index trademarks.
- Oversight of human resources globally: negotiate offers and employment contracts (currently in the US and Europe, and soon in Asia); ensure that the SAC is complying with all local labor laws; H1B visa matters; oversee performance review and promotions policies.
- A Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school required
- Must be a member in good standing with California State Bar
- Must have demonstrated at least 20 years of significant legal experience in contract, trademark, technology and/or professional services law. Experience with legal aspects of manufacturing supply chains and product liability law a plus
- Demonstrable track record of corporate legal management at a global scale
- Ability to manage large, complex programs of work with a high level of autonomy using multidisciplinary teams
- Ability to manage relationships with multiple senior stakeholders
- Demonstrable experience in managing legal matters with technology components
- Expert level skill in both written and verbal communications skills
- Public speaking skills for large global audiences
- Track record for working in a team-based, fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, with the ability to multi-task and handle changing priorities
- Specific past subject matter expertise in technology, design, manufacturing or sustainability
SAC offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, including a competitive benefits package, which includes health (medical, dental, vision), paid time off, flexible spending benefits, and a retirement matching plan. SAC’s members are global organizations, and as such, the SAC staff sometimes works early or late hours and travels globally. This position is full-time and will be located in San Francisco, CA.
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition is an equal opportunity employer.