Full-time position, flexible/remote location within the Netherlands
About the Sustainable Apparel Coalition
The Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) is an industry-wide group of more than 250 leading apparel, footwear, and textile, brands, retailers, suppliers, service providers, trade associations, nonprofits, NGOs, and academic institutions working to reduce the environmental and social impacts of products around the world.
Through multi-stakeholder engagement, the SAC seeks to lead the industry toward a shared vision of sustainability built upon a common approach for measuring and evaluating apparel, footwear, and textile product sustainability performance delivered by the Higg Index that spotlights priorities for action and opportunities for technological innovation.
The SAC was incorporated as a 501(c)6 nonprofit organization and launched the groundbreaking Higg Index suite of tools in 2011.
The Manager of Digital and PR will lead and manage all externally facing content via media channels, and manage the narrative and relations with the press for the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC). You will leverage both your writing and relationships to ensure the SAC brand continues to be built in a positive light. This is a compelling opportunity to drive the communications of an impact-focused organization that influences the sustainability of an entire industry.
This is a full-time role, reporting directly to the Director of Communications with a planned start date in February 2021. This position will be located in the Netherlands and may work remotely, so relocation is not a requirement.
- Content Creation, Social Media, and Website
- Ideate and proactively develop content for potential news stories, delivering on the external narrative for both the SAC and the Higg Index
- Develop strategy, create content, and manage execution for social media platforms
- Develop key messages and talking points for leaders for speaking engagements
- Draft press releases and other communications for tool/feature launches and organizational news
- Support the development of other marketing collateral as needed, including newsletters, use cases, and partner/member outreach materials
- Serve as brand steward, establishing and enforcing organizational style guide and usability standards
- Media and Public Relations
- Stay ahead of industry trends by conducting daily scans of media alerts
- Track SAC media engagement and report out on external brand sentiment
- Collect and share media coverage, and draft responses for media inquiries
- Manage press inquiries and decide what opportunities SAC should move forward with based on the organization’s response criteria
- Build relationships with reporters
Qualifications, Experiences, and Attributes
The ideal candidate is/has:
- 7-10 years of experience and progressive professional responsibility for membership engagement and communications
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS) in journalism, communications, marketing, or a related field
- Experience in sustainability and knowledge of the apparel/footwear/textile industry is desirable, as is experience in a startup setting
- Experience with nonprofit organizations and within brands is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; additional language is a plus
- Proven expertise in editing and copywriting, able to write clear and concise narratives
- Must have working knowledge of HTML, web content management system, e-mail communications tools like Mailchimp, CRM and AMS management systems
- Must have advanced understanding of social media technology (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.), digital marketing and marketing automation technology, and judgement in distributing content
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team environment, as well as with internal and external stakeholders; customer service orientation is a priority
- Results-oriented; high attention to detail; ability to multitask and meet deadlines in a demanding, fast-paced environment; excellent time and project management skills
- Flexible, creative, and comfortable with ambiguity; proactive self-starter, always three steps ahead; able to ruthlessly prioritize and manage high-pressure situations
- Champion the roles of transparency and collaboration, for driving collective action
SAC offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience. SAC’s team members are globally located, and as such, the SAC staff sometimes works early or late hours.
SAC has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter via this posting. All candidates will receive an email invitation to complete a short self-assessment within a few business days of submitting their applications. Your responses in the self-assessment will help us learn more about you, and support a more robust conversation with our team, should we advance your candidacy.
Please refrain from contacting SAC directly. All inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at SAC@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.