The purpose of this Technical Paper is for Higg FEM users to start understanding and preparing for the next version of the Higg FEM (“Higg FEM 4.0”), which will officially be released on the Higg platform in November 2023. Facilities will start reporting their 2023 performance using the FEM 4.0 framework.
Higg FEM 4.0 is positioned as the most comprehensive assessment for environmental performance in the consumer goods industry.
Built for users – and by users – Higg FEM 4.0 is a game changer for sustainable decision making. Here’s why:
- Better data quality: Higg FEM 4.0 provides more detailed and more relevant data. The changes within the Higg FEM tool were made as a direct result from member and user requests for more precise and accurate information, and a notable new feature is an anomaly detector, designed to identify errors in real time.
- Alignment with global industry standards: Higg FEM 4.0 aligns with key industry standards, including the GHG Protocol, Science-Based Targets initiative, and ZDHC Roadmap to Zero. Additionally, the tool makes industry benchmarking a reality. It considers regulation in its design so members have an overview to support their alignment.
- Expansion of environmental issues: the update covers more relevant environmental impacts — such as groundwater contamination — to ensure the tool reflects key impact areas businesses need to evaluate and addresses current challenges.
- Improved assessment relevance: through improved applicability criteria, users will now only see questions relevant to their specific operations, so they can spend less time on assessment questions that are irrelevant to them. Suppliers also benefit from streamlined auditing.
- Significant platform improvements: in addition to the new anomaly detector, Higg FEM 4.0 also offers easier access to guidance, optimized data exports, and an expanded online training library.
- Verification updates: to mitigate the expected verification cost increase due to a longer questionnaire, the 2024 FEM verification cycle will be narrowed to a core set of questions covering foundational practices and key impact metrics (GHG emissions and water use).
Higg FEM 4.0 isn’t just a sustainability tool. It’s a testament to what we can do together to build the industry – and future – that we want to see.
Are you ready to be part of this inspiring change? Learn more below about how you can be involved and dive into the exciting world of Higg FEM 4.0!
SAC x Worldly Office Hours
The SAC and Worldly will co-host weekly Office Hours, starting November 21, 2023. Register at HowtoHigg.org.
SAC FEM 2023 Verification Webinars
- All-Member Webinar
Tuesday, November 21, 2023 – 7:00 AM CET / 11:30 AM IST / 2:00 PM HKT
- Member & User Webinar
Thursday, November 23, 2023 – 7:00 AM CET / 11:30 AM IST / 2:00 PM HKT
SAC All-Member Town Hall
EMEA / APAC Higg FEM 4.0 Town Hall – November 14, 2023
Watch the recording here (Password: 2$8NvZ1k)
SAC x Worldly Higg FEM 4.0 Launch Webinars
AMER/ EMEA Launch Webinar – November 7, 2023
Watch the recording here (Password: RS$H60.!)
APAC Launch Webinar – November 8, 2023
Watch the recording here (Password: 2geK^39C)
- Introductory Training Videos
We’re pleased to offer our introductory Higg FEM 4.0 training video in Spanish, Mandarin and Vietnamese, in addition to English. This in-depth training will help you better understand the changes ahead and dive into the exciting new tool features in detail.
Spanish Higg FEM 4.0 Training
Mandarin Higg FEM 4.0 Training
Vietnamese Higg FEM 4.0 Training
English Higg FEM 4.0 Training
- August 2023 Town Hall Recording: Watch the recording here (passcode: Pb*zHL24) to better understand the key tool updates, and hear FAQs answered by the technical experts.
- Our How to Higg Guide (2023) will walk you through the changes and offer guidance on how to answer all questions within the new Higg FEM 4.0 tool.
- The Higg FEM 4.0 Technical Paper provides an overview of the new and adjusted questions, and outlines all documents and data required.
- Dive into the General FAQ and Technical FAQ.
- Explore SAC-approved training opportunities on the Higg FEM Trainer Body List.
- Watch our Higg FEM 4.0 videos to learn more about the tool updates:
In partnership with Worldly, the Sustainable Apparel Coalition (SAC) launched the Higg Facility Environmental Module (FEM) 4.0 tool – an industry milestone in sustainability reporting to meet pressing environmental issues and industry standards.
Verification improves the consistency, comparability and credibility of Higg Index data.